4 Nov 2014

Thoughts on 1989



Last Tuesday, the latest Taylor Swift masterpiece was unleashed to an undoubtably ruthless twelve year old army of Swifties. The new album titled 1989, after Taylor's birth year, is sure to be loved by all ages.

The new tracks are fresh and upbeat. A welcome change to the heartbreak ballads of Red. Their all about the songstress and her New York single life. Although Taylor has been stressing the lack of love songs on this album, there are still a few love themed tracks. But who's complaining?!

The first track on the album is 'Welcome to New York'. It starts the album on a feel good note, with an awesome beat. The lyrics tell the story of Tay in this new city of opportunity. It's followed by the equality catchy 'Blank Space'. I have to admit, I wasn't a big fan of this one the first time I heard it, but it's so dang catchy! I've had it stuck in my head all week, and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. The third track on the album is 'Style', which again, I wasn't too keen on upon the first listen but its got that cliche pop vibe that makes it play round and round in your head. 'Shake It Off' is the next big track on the album. This one was the first song to be released, and it brings out the message of this album beautifully. Swift directly addresses every judgement she's ever been given, and just accepts them, pulling apart some truth to the rumors. Not to mention the video *fangirls* 


The eighth track on the album is 'Bad Blood'. I'm sure it will come out eventually, but at the moment I have no idea who this is about. Whoever it is, Taylor is really upset with them. Heartfelt lyrics aside, this one has a great beat. Musically, I feel like it is a lot stronger than other tracks on the album. The verses sound quite Lorde inspired too. I love it! Possibly my favourite song on the album! Actually, I might have spoken too soon... I'm also loving I Know Places. Again, the beat is quite strong. The lyrics are interesting to listen to, if anyone feels like a bit of a decode. It also has this cool little echo thing going, which is different. The chorus is a trademark Swift, ridiculously catchy! This one reminds me of Lorde too. Their very cool and collected, without trying too hard. 

The next noteworthy track on the album is 'Wonderland'. The vibes of this track are just well... wonderful! As far as I know, it is only available on the deluxe edition. If you're considering it- trust me, its worth the few extra bucks. This track tells a cute love story with Alice and Wonderland references, and sly comments to the media. The chorus is such a hope filled state of confusion with the lyrics 'We found wonderland, you and I got lost in it. Life was never worse, but never better.' Another catchy chorus will make this one of the biggest tracks on the album. The final track is 'New Romantics'. This one sounds like Lorde the most, with the lyrics as well as the beat. It's a different perspective from Swift, about the hard times, and well... how we can ignore them and go partying. Its such a rebellious sound for Swift, who has become famous for her innocence. As much as I love sweet Taylor Swift, its refreshing to hear these upbeat melodies.

As a whole, the album is much more Pop than anything Taylor Swift has done before. Many of the tracks are quite similar, but are still catchy and great for those I'm-home-alone-dance-parties. Its clear Taylor is getting older, as we hear her beat and lyrics change. I can't decide how I feel about it, her old music is so great but I'm also a touch obsessed with a few tracks on this album. I'm sure many will be thankful to see Taylor finally doing something different with her music. She will face losing her younger fanbase and her role model status with this new set of honest lyrics about love and life. But nothing could even come close to beating Taylor Swift at this point in her career. Who knows where she will go next?

No comments:

Post a Comment