28 Jun 2015

Mitochondrial Disease // Stay In Bed Day 2015

What did I do to deserve a bonus Zola post on this beautiful Sunday, you ask? Well, my lovelies today is a very special day. Not only is it a Kardashians birthday, which my Instagram feed reminded me again and again and again, but today is also Stay In Bed Day 2015.

It's 3:08pm and I've been in bed for the whole day, in the name of charity of course. This month I've been raising awareness and funds for the Australian Mitochondrial Disease Foundation. If Mitochondrial Disease sounds like a big word you've never heard of before, all good I'm about to catch you up. It's a rare disease that alters the way the body produces energy. Mitochondria are found in your cells, and produce around 90% of the energy your body needs to function properly. Without getting too sciencey, Mitochondrial Disease alters the function of these Mitochondria so the body can't produce nearly as much energy as it needs. Because we need energy to do everything, Mitochondrial Disease can effect sufferers nearly anywhere in their body.

While you've probably never heard of Mitochondrial Disease, it's much more common than you think. 1 in 5000 Aussie kids are born with Mitochondrial Disease, and one of them is my friend Tim. We grew up together running around in parks, and riding around his neighbourhood on scooters till dark. We're still only weeks apart in age, but so much has changed since then. It's been 6 years since he was first diagnosed with Mito and it seems like his battle is almost over. Tim stopped going to school regularly a few years ago, and now rarely leaves the house. He has little vision or hearing, no short term memory which makes simple things near impossible for him. Tim spent most of the last week in hospital, unconscious, after a severe stroke. Its time to ask the question is being asked, what is life if you can't really live it?

The thing to remember is that there is always hope, there is always break through. Mitochondrial Disease is a curable disease, the cure just hasn't been found yet- and until it is I'm doing what I can to help the cause. So today I am putting myself in the position of kids with Mitochondrial Disease for Tim, his family and all the other families out there being effected by this widely unknown disease. I've also pledged to raise $2000 for the Australian Mitochondrial Disease Foundation, and while that goal is still a long way off, you can help to make it a reality. If you have absolutely anything to donate to the cause, that would make you the most incredible reader ever and would seriously mean so so much to me. You can read my full story and make a donation here.

Thank you x

No comments:

Post a Comment